As a home care provider you probably use your back a lot. Did you know that one of the top causes of disability in America is back pain? Some people are bothered by chronic pain, which can be both debilitating and discouraging. Chronic back problems need the help of a professional to determine the underlying cause of the distress.
Lifestyle factors and environmental causes like lack of exercise, stress, poor posture and jobs that involve hunching over something –like a computer – for many hours during the day can really take their toll on your back.
Some people find relief from back pain by going to chiropractors, acupuncturists or massage therapists. The choice of whether or not to try these services is up to each individual. There are lots of things you can do and try to help give your back some of the care and attention it deserves.
Strategies for giving your back some tender loving care
Sleep on the type of mattress that makes your back feel the best
- There’s no rule as to best type of mattress. Sleep on the one that you get the best sleep on, whether hard, soft or medium firmness.
Adjust your pillows for best neck support
- If you sleep on your back, make sure there is proper support under your neck, and that your pillows aren’t so high they are pushing your head forward.
- Stomach sleeping tends to flatten the natural curve of your spine, putting excess pressure on the bones of the back. It also decreases your ability to breathe properly, as the weight of your body is pressing on your lungs.
Side sleepers could try putting a pillow between their knees
- Putting a pillow between your knees when you are sleeping on your side helps to align the hips properly with the back and rest of the body.
- The pillow should keep your neck straight with the back, and not tilt your head up on one side.
A soak in a nice Jacuzzi
- Try a nice warm soak to loosen tight back muscles
- Pressure jets from the bath or Jacuzzi placed in strategic areas of a tight back can help to loosen the muscles and reduce aches
It’s important to take good care of your back. When a few home strategies are not alleviating the aches and pains you feel, they should be checked out before becoming more severe.
If you or someone you know needs help with home care in Lowell, MI contact the caregivers at Gauthier Family Home Care. We provide quality and affordable home care for many disabled and elderly loved ones in our community. Call us at (616) 658-2300 for more information.
- Why Should Your Senior Be Interested in Home Care Services? - March 31, 2020
- How Social Is Your Mom’s Dog? Why That Matters - March 25, 2020
- Tips for Spring Cleaning When Your Mom Wants It Done Her Way - March 18, 2020